Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

1.19.2005

Meih

My Room
Pre-bed bowl
Waiting for Alii so that. .
West Wing and Painting!
12:53 am
Wednesday, January 19, 2005


Meih

Today, was a day. Not a particularly good day, nor especially bad, just less then good. Let me be frank: Math has Re-entered My Life and I'm Pissed.

To being, last night, I was reading "Psychology Today," instead of my reading for EOSI and I realized that the magazine was really looking at the type of things that I'm interested in. I mean, I adore sociological theory, but testing it, not so much. I then went back and realized that all the data that I was interested in, in the bajillion articles I've been reading about educational organization and structrual effects, the glowing tidbits all came from social psychology.

So, I'm going to double major Sociology and Psychology.
That means I have to take calculus.

I don't know if I'm honesty going to be able to pull it off, since I'll be in Paris next autumn, God willing. But, I'm at least going to talk to Maria. And I think that I'm going to start looking at Grad schools with good psychology departments, aka: Stanford. How sweet would that be -- undergrad at not only the leading sociological institute in the nation, if not the world, but also the top rated academic country in the college, closely followed with a masters in pyschology from the leading pyschological institute in the states. Brillant I say! Brillant.

Well, that was how Math made it's sneaky little way back onto my mental field. And then today happened. You see, Tuesday is supposed to be my free-ish day. I start nice and early with Astrophysics at 9:00 until 10:20, then I have nothing until the lab at 2:30. From lab I go to Belly Dancing until 6:00, meet Alii at Bartmart for a snack, and off to Crerear for study study study. Since I'm well occupied until late in the evening, I allow myself between the hours to 10:30 and 2:30 to do whatever the fuck I want. Sleep usually, cook breakfast, go to the doctor, study if I must, write things, errands, etc, etc. Today's agenda: breakfast, coffee, smoking, Ayse time, West Wing, and curling up in my chair to read about Buddhism. I was fully on my way to achieving the full potential of this leisure time, when decided to check out Chalk. (That's a thought I can never fully tell to go away, "But have you checked Chalk? Are you sure? There could be an assignment. Maybe you should check. . ." ) Turns out, I was supposed to do as much of the lab entitle "Math Review" as possible before class, using a calculator.

Boo!

So, I spend the next two hours doing long division the hard way. It was ridiculous. Once I get to lab, my TA tells me that I don't have to do all that, I can do the manual shit on the calculator, they just want to make sure we understand the underlying principles of equations and such. Goddamnit.

So, I spend another two hours battle Mr. Math, and to no avail, I have not yet conquored him. Luckily, it's not due until next Tuesday.

And, on the good side. I met someone really cool. His name is Grant and he's my lab partner. We're just chit-chatting about life -- he's from So-Cal, Orange County, possibly majoring Public Policy, first year, lives in Max. I comment that I like his ear plugs -- his ears are gaged out a bit. Come to find out he used to have his eyebrow, tongue, and ears gaged out to the max. Now, just the ears a bit. I show him my tatoo. First words out of his mouth are, "Awesome. What does it mean to you?" Then we had this conversation, Grant asking:

"What kinda music to you listen to?"
*I spin my SCI logoed Nalgen around*
"Did you see them at UIC?"
"Totally! It was my first show!"
"So, moe. Feb. 22."
"Keller in the beginning of March."
"PANIC FOR FOUR DAYS!"
"SCI again in the spring"

At this point, it doesn't matter who started or who was saying what because we were babbling at each other. Turns out, I found another dirty hippie like me. It's the shit. He asked what I was listening to now, and I told him, "Live dank Phish." "From when?" "A couple of shows from 97' and 01'." "Dank. Yes, those were dank years."

Hooray for like minded people. We spend the rest of the lab discussing various artists, swapping "Oh my god I saw them ______" stories and such. And we're going to start going to shows together. I'm assuming he's very rich, although he doesn't come of as such at all, because he's from Orange County and he's flying back next weekend to see Particle. This is something he does. But whatever.

As if this discovery wasn't enough, I realized something: I'm going to stop assessing people automatically as "Well, I could date them," or "No way in hell," but instead let friendships develop, and see what happens, and start asking people to do things with me if I'm so inclined. I mean, I'm going to stop looking for love and waiting for it to knock on my door at the same time, if that makes sense at all.

The rest of the day was blah because I had dance with the yucky dance teacher who I think thinks that I don't do certain exercises because of my back, not just because I don't feel about it. I've told her my back can't do that, but whatever. She pretty much ignores me, which is a feat in a class of 4 people. And then the smarmy girl bought everything that she had brought to see if we wanted to buy any. And that chick isn't even in the Troop and started last week, so that was annoying. And Valerie, who is a sweet heart, got all condescending and talked a lot, which made me want to throw shoes at her. Bless her heart, she's a nice person, but something about her when she speaks makes me want to leave the room.

But, Alii and I made tasty salad (spinach, blue cheese, mandrine oranges, walnuts, bacon vinagrette) and we're drinking wine and watching West Wing, so it's all better now.


Ya know, my day seems a lot better know that I got all that out of my system. Thanks for that Idea Lp. Love ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home