Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

1.25.2005

Here's For Doing Your Best

Post Physics Midterm Decompression
NEED to clean my room
Hmmm. . .
10:51 am
Tuesday, January 25, 2005


Here's For Doing Your Best

I actually don't think I completely failed my physics midterm. Hooray for studying, and being at least moderatly prepared. For doing the best you can, and not worrying that it might not have been perfect.

I think I may be pulling on through to the other side of the mental mayhem I've been engulfed in for the past week or so. I had a Community Service Finance Commitee meeting yesterday, and it was very life re-affirming. It made me realize that yes, I am doing good things with my life, as are all these other people that want us to allocate them funds to do that more effectively. It was very pleasant to have my opinion listened to and respected for what it is. Turns out, every once in a while I know what I'm talking about.

The CSFC is a student committee, run on two year appointments, that allocates funds to varoius Registered Student Organizations and student groups for community service related projects. Everyone pays a Student Activity Fee with the majority going to the Student Government Finance Committee to give out for study breaks, and such, with the rest going to us to distribute. We have a yearly meeting where we give huge chunks of money to groups like APO and such for their scheduled activities that take place all year, then quarterly meetings where we allocate to smaller groups for specific projects. People come and make presentations, we read their proposals, discuss their aims, and their administrative ability to successfully execute their plan, then we vote. There's about 8 people on the committee, and there was 6 of us last night. I always enjoy in more then I think I will.

What's always so life affirming is the people. It's such a blessing to be reminded oif not only what I want to do with my life as a whole, but to see all these others, just as bogged down with work, all with their own social issues, and hundreds of other things that I can't even begin to fathom in the 20 minutes we talk to them -- yet they're not giving up. They, Me, Us -- we're all still committeed to working for social change, whether on a large scale, as with MEChA, who's organizing a series of workshops that will show Latino students that they have other opitions besides trade school and unions, to helping make individual's lives just a little easier, like Friend's of Ronald McDonald House who cook dinner and plan family activities like bingo for the families staying there while their other children are in the hospital.

It's made me realize that I need to do more. While I've been telling Kenneth that, I myself have become a tad complacient in the recent weeks. In my own defense, I've been struggling with not having a nutty every 45 minutes, not having panic attacks, not sinking into the depths of useless, pointless depression. But, no more.

To start: Thrusday, Ayse and I are going to a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood. It's to celebrate the 32nd anniversary of Roe vs. Wade and a woman's right to choose. Tickets are $120 if you can afford it, $25 for students. It's going to be fabulous -- food, cocktails, and brillant speakers, all for a great cause. Who am I to deny my overies their due? Lord knows that I owe Planned Parenthood more then just this event, but I'm glad to do what little part I can. And if the cause wasn't enough, Barack Obama is going to speak. Hooray for superb political minds, with vision and determination. As Mom said, I wouldn't be suprised, in fact I hope, that I see Obama as president in my life time.

And on that note, I need to call Inroads and see if I can go to the Talent Pool in Chicago, and I need to finish my Summer Links application, and Oh, is my room a shithole.

Here's to getting a firm grasp of my horses yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home