Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

10.12.2004

J'ai Ecouté Bien!

My Room
Really Wanting a Cig
Floundering Between Working and Chillin'
Finished with My French Listening!
Lonely, Except for the AIM Beep
Needing Groceries
Sing it Dean -- Only I'm Not Sure Where My Heart is
About to Seek Musical Release

J'ai Ecouté Bien!

Hooray! I was actually able to do my French listening activity with minimal pain and in just under an hour, which is proof that miracles happen every day. It's so refreshing and rewarding to find academic reassurance that I can do this, that I am learning, that I can be scholarly when I try.

I got to dance today, which was refreshing, and a wonderfully exhilarating confirmation that my back is, at least for now, healed. I'm pretty good at belly dancing, if I don't say so myself. Don't get me wrong: I'm definitely a beginner, but I seem to grasp the concepts; my body works that way. Some of these girls obviously didn't even know they HAD hips before they started the classes, let alone used them in the dance.

I was able to get most everything I needed to get done done today. I still have to faire me revieller très tôt donc que je peux lire mes textes pour le classe du Théorie de Sociologie. I bought the other books I need, braved the Reg without any disaster, and watched a strange French movie so that I can complete my Activitié Personnelle by Friday. Thank God Ayse watched it with me. Always nice to have someone else confirm that pre-teen French people making out is just WRONG on several levels. Do French children really do that? I seriously doubt that. Cultural point: This movie (Cross My Heart) was made released in 1982, but the attitude towards homosexuality is so healthy. There is a teacher in the movie, and a group of kids asks him if he'll adopt one of the students who's mother has died. He tells them that he can't because he's not married, and they look into that for adoption, and then he tells them that he's also gay. The kids say it's horrible, which at first seems harsh, then they elaborate. No, they don't care either way about his sexual orientation, but they're upset that the government would harass their teacher, who would adopt their friend if he could. Could you image a scene like that in mainstream American cinema in 1982? 2004 for that matter!

I just told the Story of Sean to Lauren F. and for possibly first time, I didn't feel emotionally invested. Time is the great equalizer, and lord knows I should have crafted, painted, played, cried that mess out of my system. It's nice to see that that is actually so. Maybe one day, I'll be over it enough to sing his song for someone else, even though I never sang it for him.

Tomorrow I'm going out to eat with Richard, which should be nice. It's so refreshing to have someone I can talk sociology with. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that'll be a main topic of discussion, but it's nice to know other people who get excited about social patterns of interaction. And, Lauren F. and I, and possibly others, our going to make our Grand Debut at bar night. Free beer!

I went for a nice walk last night with Kenneth. It's strange: I wouldn't have thought that I'd have enough things to talk about with someone for four hours straight, but I gladly mistaken. There are good things there.

I need to therapeutically play guitar -- it's my form of meditation. Then I should sleep. I get to read Simmel and Coser tomorrow morning before class. And, well, I was up with Kenneth until 3:30 am last night. Not that I wouldn't do it again in a heartbeat, but sleep sounds oh so blissful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home