Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

10.01.2004

Gainful Employment

Drinking Coffee
Waking up with Maroon 5
Wishing for Good Medicine
Damning my Back for Sucking
Not Even Getting Ready for Class Yet
9:50 am
October 1, 2004

Gainful Employment

Well, I got a job yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to accept it yet. I'm holding out for better things. Let start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start. (Name that musical and I'll give you a quarter.)

Wednesday: I interviewed at the Franke Institute of Humanities. This is a well-endowed center located in the Reg. The hold conferences, siminars, speeches, roundtables and other sorts of events for mostly humanity faculty and graduate students. They hold their own events and facilitate events that the faculty wants to do. There are weekly events, as well as specially scheduled ones. What would I be doing? I'd be working with the other assistants to organize and execute these events. This ranges from calling people to attend, designing and putting up posters, to actually setting up the events and helping the speakers be comfortable. The good things about this job: my bosses are super nice, funny, warm ladies. I think the environment would be a pleasure. It's smack dab in the middle of campus, a mere 3 blocks from my house. The hours are flexable, and I wouldn't get bored, because there are so many diverese things going on there. Plus, I'd get tons of exposure to the faculty and the added perk of getting at attend all of these neato lectures and such. Pay: pretty sure it's at least $10 an hour. Not sure. They're going to let me know soon.

Thursday: I first interviewed at CAPS (Career and Placement Services) to be the Metcaff Application Assistant. What is that? The Metcaff internships program is a great things for people who are about to graduate. There are over 3,000 applicants from all over the world, appylying for 100 spots. I would be in charge of making sure all the applications, all the many stages, get processed in a timely, correcct fashion. Good things about this job: $10 an hour, great exposure to staff, looks kick ass on the resume, gives me the chance to create/run/organize a very large something (they just created this job this year.), and I'd get to work in other departments too. Bad side: it's in IDA, which is bum-fuck far away.

Then I interviewed at the Black Star Project. This is an organization that runs 15-odd programs that aim to close the education gap between black students and everywhere else. What I'd be doing is assundry office work. I'd be working in a basement with a really nice girl name Kirsten. Tasks would range from menial office work to soliciting phone calls, to organizing their lecture series, and starting a tutoring program. Pluses: good hours, lots of work to be done, chill environment, $12 hour. Minuses: ASS-FAR AWAY. There's a bus, but not from Maclean. It's a 20 minute walk, at least. And, I don't feel a huge calling to their cause. But at the same time, this is the type of thing that I want to do, on a larger corporate scale, after school. At least theoretically.

They offered me the job, and I told them I'd have to wait and see what I hear from everyone else. I mean, $12 hour is great, but I refuse to choose a job solely for money. I think I'd get much more pleasure, and less stress in general from either CAPS or the FIH. But, those people haven't offered me a job. YET.

Oh, and in my sneaky campaign to be house president, I'm taking a bunch of first-years to House of Sushi and Noodles. (Oh, how my heart gets all a flutter at just the thought. . . all you can eat amazing sushi for $10.95.) Then we're going to walk around Belmont. I figure, these kids are cool. At least the ones that are going are, and I'd like to get to know them better. And I want sushi. But, also, this is the kind of thing that House Presidents should do. Brian Ebling is running agintst me because he thinks it would be cool, whatever that means, not because he's interested in leading this house, in being a resource for other residents. I'm not stressing about it, but at the same time, I really do want to be house president. Don't get me wrong: Brian is one off my friends, he's great, and he's going to teach me to play poker (he's really REALLY good) but I think I'd make a better president. Time shall tell.

Oh, I have another job interview today. STRIVE tutoring. We'll see how this goes. Wouldn't it be cool/horrible if I got offered all four jobs?

Better get my ass in gear. Class in an hour and it's going to take lot LOT more coffee to get me going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home