Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

8.04.2005

Great America?

Work
Bored
2:39 pm
Thursday, August 3, 2005

Great America?

Yesterday, the Summer Links Crew went to Six Flags Great America. I had more fun then I originally anticipated. I entered the situation realizing that I'm not super duper good friends with any of these people, no one with whom I had planned to spend the day with. I was a little worried about this, I won't lie. So, I brought a book and planned on spending the majority of the day at Hurricane Harbor, sunning, alone if necessary. Good times, right?

But I learned something: I may not be best friends with another Linker, but I'm a part of a group, a family you could say. I hung out with many different people, in several combinations, depending on amusement park preferences. And all of it was fun. I got to know some people better then I knew them before, while also beginning relationships with others.

There was much more singing and dancing then I anticipated, and as we all know, that means I'm going to enjoy myself greatly. David, the director, wanted some of us to record a kareokee CD so that everyone can make fun of us for years to come. I was drafted, and the hilarity ensued. There were five of us, most of us possessing musical know-how. I think our downfall came from choosing to sing a Backstreet Boys song, "I Want it That Way." It was pretty special.

The top moment though was when we were finished, leaving the store, and we heard ourselves. On the intercom, outside the store. Loudly. So, of course, we jamm out to our bad-ass selves, dancing, arms waving, freaking out in the middle of Great America. Dana yells, "I LOVE YOU GUYS!" like a true fan. The we busted out Every Parade Dance You've Ever Seen, in unison. Oh hooray for being ridiculous in public, surrounded by over weight mid-western families who look on, confused, sure they've missed something important.

The water park was fun as well. It was partially a self-esteem booster, and part reality check. It was so nice to not be in middle school again. I started thinking about going to water parks when I was younger, barely post-pubescent. Petrified of my own body, convinced I looked so fat/gross/stupid/unstylish in my swimsuit, yet spending all my energy on either a) getting a stupendous tan to make up for the fat or b) trying to get stupid teenage boys to notice said tan.

This time, we just had fun. We rode rides, we danced and sang in line. I busted out some balance/stretching moves from cheerleading, and the people in line behind us,not in my group clapped. Weird. Jamil had never been to a water park before, and he can't swim. At first he was hesitant about the whole water slide thing.

After one ride, he was hooked.

So, now he's excited, ecstatic about this new joy: WATER!! He's laughing, jumping, running to the next ride, freaking out. And of course, I am too.

It was pretty crazy. Me and him finish the second slide, and just set off towards the kids castle. It's a four/five story tower structure, based on a pirate ship. There's water coming out everywhere: guns, streams, jet, buckets, sprays, splashes. There's platforms, levels, stairs, slides, and water, water, water. It's standing in 2 feet of water, with more just splashing, dripping, spewing, kids jumping, yelling, laughing. So, here come Jamil and I, completely uncontained, running mad-dash, helter skelter through the thing. It was blissful.

Today at work, I got to give away pianos. I called students families' who were recommended by their teachers, and I gave them pianos. The joy in their voices! It was amazing. I heard the mother's tear up, so proud, thankful that their children are going to have an even greater opportunity to advance themselves thanks to Merit, and thanks to music. Damn I love my job. I think I'm going to be taking a couple of days off of work soon to write a research paper for Merit. It should be good times. It's been two longs since I've lost a large chunk of my time to the Reg.

Hooray for being an adult, kinda. Hooray for giving away pianos. Hooray for being a part of a group. Hooray.

In sadder news, my Tio Joe died this week. I knew him, and Tia Rica well when I was younger -- I have some pretty funny memories of my family playing Bingo at their house, and Tia Rica dancing. She died a few years back, and I think Tio Joe is happier with her now, then he was here. I thought about him a lot, and I think he'd be proud of me, was proud me, is proud of me. It's made me think of my Dad's mortality, which is something I never, ever want to face. I wish I could be in Texas with my family, supporting them, loving them right now. I do all that from here, but it's a little less apparent.

God Bless Tio Joe, may be rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home