Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

4.01.2005

Merit School of Music

Wating for Alii so we can work to class
Excited!
9:02 am
Friday, April 1, 2005

Merit School of Music

I had the first of my 5 internship interviews yesterday, and I think it went very well.

The Merit School of Music is a non-profit that reaches 6,000 kids a week through their programs, the main one of which is paying for professional teachers to teach in public schools that are experiencing budget cuts. They also host over 1,000 kids on-site a week for intense lessons with an outstanding staff. They offer classes in brass, woodwinds, piano, guitar, strings, voice, and drums.

What would I be doing? I would organize the Merit Music Festival, which happens at the end of the summer to showcase the work of the kids in the summer camp. Did I mention they have a musical theatre camp? They're ears perked up when I told them of my theatrical leanings. After the summer camp, which I would help administer, I would be able to TA a music class (theory, strings, guitar, whatever I wanted to reallly) and work on the fall applications, and organizing a week of music events to celebrate the fabulous new building they're about to move into.

They asked if I'd be interested in working this fall too. They're starting an adult class in the autumn, so maybe, hopefully, I could start playing bass or cello again. How awesome would that be? Voice lessons! And I'm already thinking that Naked Theatre needs to do something with their Musical Theatre classes.

Yea, I'm really excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home