Inherently Ridiculous

Nuggets of Wisdom, Bowls of Preponderance. Ashing on Your Floor Since 2003.

3.11.2005

Whistle While You Work

My Room
Codine + Cough Syrup =
Relief from the Plague
Feeling Better
Worky McWork Work
Post-Whistle Casting, Round 1
12:04 am
Friday, March 11, 2005
Reading Period
15 Pages to Go
5 Days Till PORTLAND

Whistle While You Work

Every illness has a curve, with an inital downward slope, and low point of doom, and eventually, if you don't choke and die, an upside, where you soon realize, "Oh, I will get better? I'm not destined to be sick forever?" What a nice place to be.

The doctor's gave me medicine, my boss, said, "Yea, you need to slow down. You do too much," and my immune system said no. Hello sleeping all day Tuesday, after my Final Physics Exam. I spent Monday in the library. 8 Hours of Studying.

But, sweet Tuesday, did I sleep. Wednesday was for more sleep. And finishing my lab. My Final Physics Lab. And Karl. I was cured by Karl. Oh the amazing healing powers of cuddling.

Today was my French Lector Oral, my French Lecture Oral, and make-up quizes. I realized an important thing. I've been having difficulty. I've been having difficulty grasing the grammatical structures, this quarter and last, and I think I may have realized the problem. The packet. It's not organized, or presented very logically, structurally. It's hodgepodge, willy-nilly, cut-and-paste, and confusing.

I retaliated, alibit a too little too late, with a composition notebook. The bastion of academic order and tidiness. I went through the ammogalation that is the French Packet and made my own systematic rendering of the material.

And I remember it.

It worked! My oral went swimmingly, as I was able to picture the page where I'd written the forms of the future tense. Splendid. All the better to learn with next quarter, my pretty.

Then, I had Whistly auditions. They were lovely. It was, as always, inspiring to be on the other side of auditions, watching people pour their creative souls out -- at least hopefully. Those were the people we tended to like the most, at least. Beautiful.

Then came the tough part: casting. We weren't even casting for real, just figuring out who goes to call-backs and who not, and for what parts, limit 2 Ben Fink! Ben and I work well together: I'm enough of a hard-ass (uppity cunt as Eric would say) to counter balance his big 'ole heart. We came up with a quality list of people that will be spectacular.

And I had to sent out emails. I was writing and speaking what I was saying outloud to get Alii's opinon. She said, "You definatley should go into business: you speak bureaucrate." Hehe. She's right though. Only problem with this was Emily. First, she came and asked Alii and I if she'd made call backs. I told her that she needed to wait for an email. She didn't get called back. Then she came and asked why, and eventually went in Alii's room and cried with her. I don't feel bad really. I didn't see her audition, and was therefore only able to make comments about what I think working with her would be like on a personal level.

I'm really not going to take this opportunity to rant about Emily, and God knows I want to,b ut let it be known: SHE WILL NOT RUIN PORTLAND. I have a very low tolerance for people who 'tag along' 'invite themselves' or any other derivitive of that general sentiment. So much in fact, that I actively strive to not be that.

Maybe if she were interesting . . .

But, that is done. Alii and I were about to dye my hair when she came in and said she needed to talk to Alii again. We'll see what come of that.

I haven't started my paper yet -- but that's what tomorrow is for. I'm taking the French Exam, and then writing this paper, followed by work and a call-back planning meeting.

Man, I need to call my people from home. I miss them. I miss being a more major part of their lives. It saddens me.

I got offered a spot in the Summer Links Intership program, here in Chicago, and I'm going to accept it. That means I can get an apartment this summer with Alii, and finally have a home again. That means leaving those friends behind for a little while longer -- Looks like it'll be Christmas next before I'm home for any period of time. I miss y'all, and love y'all. Don't forget that, ever, kay?

Today, was a good day. I woke up happy, I accomplished many things, and generally grabbed life by the horns. I hope that I can meet tomorrow with the same. Here's to trying, and whistling while I work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home